Saturday, July 14, 2012

Hilton Barcelona

All in all my impressions were good, although there are some points to be improved upon. The stay was extremely cheap (read less than 100 Euros a days including all taxes) which I’ve gotten on the pre-paid sale.

My room assignment was changed to King several weeks before arrival which is an upgrade, and as Gold member I was pleased that it was done proactively. I have arrived to the hotel around 10:30 AM after a transatlantic flight and did not expect to be able to check in so early, but received a room immediately. The check in clerk apologize that they could not upgrade me to the Executive Lounge as the hotel is full (which I believe as at least on one of my night the hotel was completely sold out when checking on the net).

Breakfast was plentiful and satisfying in the restaurant. There are no vouchers, but your name is on the list as a Gold member at the entrance and they just check you in. One of the best free breakfasts I had in a Hilton for quite a while.

The little annoyances:
1. You get an internet code for each day for two devices (one for computer and one for mobile device). For 5 days stays I have got 10 codes for internet use (free as Gold). Couple of days later I’ve discovered that some of the codes were wrong (i.e., for lobby use and not room use). There must be a better way to handle the internet service than provide a code for each device for each day.
2. Despite the renovations which are very nice indeed there are still some service problems. My sink will not drain (the plunger was stuck on close). My phone will not ring. All those problems were remedied quickly and efficiently, but a month after renovation I would not expect them.
3. My stay was comprised from two different reservations. I did not need to change the rooms, but despite the front desk assurances, on the change day, the key, of course, did not open the door. Little annoyance to get it reset.
4. On check out there was an item on the bill that was not mine. Took some time and paper work to get that removed from the bill.
5. My biggest gripe probably is the size of the room. Despite not feeling cramped, the room was small. Probably not as bad as NYC small, but very close too. It was very functional and the bathroom is nice and not cramped at all, but still, small.

The hotel is situated about two blocks from the L3 metro station which is very convenient. The shopping mall one block down does have a big supermarket in it.

All in all it was a pleasant experience and I would definitely consider coming back to the hotel if the prices will be in the same range.   





No comments:

Post a Comment